9 Mar 2014

ONE DAY IN BRUSSELS

Yesterday was an International Women's day 8 of March and I decided to treat myself by going on the one day trip to the capital of Belgium. My plans were to have a rest from studying and see the city without spending much money, because as a student I am on the tight budget. At the moment I live in Aalst, so instead of train I decided to take a bus 214 which goes from Aalst to Brussels Noord. Luckily, I have monthly buzzy pass which allows me unlimited travel by Lijn buses for  € 23,6/month, so getting to Brussels didn't cost me a thing! (the price is for student under 25 years old) After arriving to Brussels Noord, I decided to walk to save € 2,1 on transport to the centre. Following google map, I got to my first destination spot Grand-Place in about 25 min walking. It was just lovely! Warm and sunny!
Town Hall, Brussels
That was actually my third time in this square as well as in Brussels and finally I loved it! First time I came to the capital of Belgium five years ago on the rainy cold day in the beginning of June, city seemed to be angry and streets kind of gloomy. And I remember saying to myself that this is the least city in Europe I ever wanted to visit and I would never do that again. But i did. Last year I had to obtain visa for Ireland and I came to Brussels to bring my documents to the Embassy. It was rainy all over again, middle of November, but city seemed to be nice and peaceful and I couldn't understand why did I hated the place so much, so I give myself promise that I will give it a chance and visit it again on a sunny day. So here I was in the middle of the gorgeous square gazing on the Town Hall and Guildhouses feeling caught in several centuries ago Medieval princess, same feeling i had in Brugge.
Museum of the City of Brussels
My dad text me that I should treat myself with box of chocolates for this special day, and so  I did. I went through streets filled with artisan chocolate shops.. oh, the scent is amazing! It is like rare perfume, pure delight for sweet-lovers. At the end, I found myself in recommended by Tripadviser Mary Chocolatier. I didn't buy a box, but chose several pralines and truffles (6,8 for 100 grams).
Mary Chocolatier, Brussels 
At first I planned to get chocolates and have a small picnic in Royal park, but while I was walking to the park more and more becoming curious about that little chocolate bag in my purse..well, yes you have probably figured me out - they were gone:( before I made it to the park. That was good chocolates, but honestly, not the best. Champagne flavour was delicious and chocolate was a very good quality, truffles had rich flavour and texture, but still I wasn't satisfied - thought I would find something special, the experience I didn't have before, but in fact these chocolates were not better the ones I tasted before in other parts of Belgium. So I decided to continue searching for the special ones. It was almost midday when I reached Royal park, which has really relaxed atmosphere. It is quite small, not comparable with Central Park, but really nice and peaceful - city escape within the city.
Parc Royal, Brussels
Parc Royal, Brussels
Relaxed I continued walking and went to Pierre Marcolini which sells chocolates and macaroons and for coming Easter they prepared boxes filled with choco eggs. I went straight up the stairs, because their you can customise your pralines box. I chose 5 pralines pieces including ones with mango and ganache, paid € 2,7. Also one chocolate looked like a red heart which I found to be really cute. So I put the precious little bag deep down my purse to stop all attempts of eating them on the street with dirty hands. To continue treating myself, I decided to look for a Russian shop to buy sour cream. I found one just 7 minutes from Pierre Marcolini and bought 2 sour creams and zefir - Russian type of marshmallow. I really in love with these two products and can't understand why they are rarely sold in Europe. Next stop was Avenida Loise, a shopping street where I was planning to search for white office like shirt. On my way to Loise  I found little park, which I enjoyed even more than Royal. It is called Parc d'Egmont and it has just so positive atmosphere and smiley people, it is also really quite and you can hear birds singing even though it is so close to big Boulevard Waterloo. Definitely need to come back there on the sunny day with the book:)
Parc d'Egmont, Brussels
Area close to metro Luise filled with different shops and shop-galleries, budget near with very expensive ones. The last I found to be all empty). I came home around 7 pm from my perfect little treat-day, opened a bottle of wine, opened my chocolates and felt pure delight! I finally found those special ones! They were gently melting in the tongue leaving amazing flavour-sensations. Oh, and why did I bought just 5 small pieces?! Well, now I know where I'll buy the chock-treat for my family when I'll be leaving Belgium. Perfect Women's Day treat!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment